A dozen farms across Oregon will be honored at the state Fair in Salem for maintain the family farm for more than 100 years. Oregon Century Farm and Ranch Program coordinator, Andrea Kuenzi, said the work to highlights the different commodities that can be raised and produced in Oregon.
“It takes a lot to keep a farm together for 100 years in the same family so they’re dedicated, they are hardworking. Those are the two main things it takes.”
Since the pandemic canceled the Fair in 2020, this year’s program will honor both 2020 and 2021 recipients of the award. Kuenzi added a database at Oregon State University has all the centennial farms and ranches stored, however the last three years have yet to be recorded.
“We don’t do it every year, we add to the database every three years. So this year, the 1920 and 1921 farms will go into the database.”
Oregon Century Farm and Ranch was founded in 1958, the year of Oregon’s centennial, as a way to share the state’s Ag history with multiple generations.
Here is a list of the farms and ranches being honored this year.
2021 Century Farm & Ranch Families:
- Alderson Farms: Founded in Polk County in 1921 by Richard Alderson. Applicant is Dennis & Ron Alderson.
- Barnett Farm: Founded in Polk County in 1921 by Martin and Tressa Conger. Applicant is Linda M. Barnett.
- Cruickshank Brothers Farms: Founded in Polk County in 1920 by David and Annie Cruickshank. Applicant is John W. Cruickshank.
- Norman Farm: Founded in Clackamas County in 1921 by John and Anna Norman. Applicant is Shirley Norman.
- Ogle Ranch: Founded in Lake County in 1919 by Clarence Wilson (C.W.) “Jim” Ogle. Applicant is James W. Ogle.
- R.T Gilliland Farm: Founded in Umatilla County in 1914 by Robert T. and Willie Gilliland. Applicant is Donald H. Bensel.
- Rueck’s Grandview Farm: Founded in Washington County in 1921 by George Sr. and Anna Marie Rueck. Applicant is Marvin C. Rueck.
- SC Ranch LLC: Founded in Lake County in 1918 by S.B. (Sol) Chandler. Applicant is Lytle and Tamara Ann Simms.
- Timber Hill Farm: Founded in Polk County in 1920 by David and Annie Cruickshank. Applicant is Kenneth David Cruickshank.
- Welter Family Farm LLC: Founded in Marion County in 1919 by Albert F. and Mary B. Welter. Applicant is Welter Family Farm LLC (Tom Welter).
- Tucker Ranch: Founded in Umatilla County in 1916 by Eugene “Eaph” Tucker. Applicant is Samuel E. Tucker.
- Von Derahe Orchards: Founded in Umatilla County in 1914 by A.A. & Lois E. Bixby. Applicant is Von Derahe Orchards LLC (Mike and Chuck Von Derahe).
2020 Century Farm & Ranch Families:
- Blackman Ranch: Founded in Klamath County in 1919 by Thomas Walter Blackman. Applicant is Rodney and Virginia Blackman.
- Marx Farm: Founded in Polk County in 1920 by Julius and Luise Marx. Applicant is Merle Marx.
- Paysinger Family Farm: Founded in Yamhill County in 1920 by George and Lizzie Shelburne. Applicant is David and Theresa Paysinger.
- Starvation Farms: Founded in Morrow County in 1918 by Chris Moehnke. Applicant is Chris and Kathy Rauch.
- Roy Family Farm: Founded in Yamhill County in 1920 by Alfred Luke Roy. Applicant is Carol A. Roy.
- Ward Ranches: Founded in Baker County in 1919 by Levi ‘Clyde’ Ward. Applicants are Craig, Mark, Kathy, and Ralph Ward.
- JW Ranch: Founded in Marion County in 1920 by John Calahan. Applicant is John W. Wells.
- Fir Villa Farm: Founded in Polk County in 1911 by Solomon S. and Susan Ediger. Applicants are Melvin & Esther Ediger.
2020 Sesquicentennial Family:
- Cooper Family Orchards: Founded in Wasco County in 1870 by Robert and Mary Cooper. Applicant is David Cooper.
If you have a story idea for the PNW Ag Network, call (509) 547-1618, or e-mail [email protected]